Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Dreaded Spacebook

"Insert Horror Movie Theme Song Here"

Nope. Not doing it. Never happening. I don't care if I'm writing a blog about trying out social networking accounts and that Facebook is the biggest of these sites. I refuse to join.

I have always been wary of Facebook... I never quite understood it. I didn't understand why it was absolutely essential for me to make an online account to talk to and keep up with people that I see every day at school anyway. It didn't take long for me to realize that not having a Facebook meant carrying a certain social stigma, especially when meeting people for the first time. People just thought it was weird. Certain types of people expected me to explain myself.

There were points in my life where this actually had a marked impact on me, as insignificant as it may seem. My randomly placed freshman year roommate thought I was some sort of psychopath... despite the fact that I had emailed, texted, and talked to her on the phone just like any other normal human being would. She admitted that it was because I didn't have a Facebook. I've even heard people say, "if you don't have a Facebook, you pretty much don't exist."

I think that this is the root of why I won't make one. I don't like that I'm being told that I have to do something that seems unimportant to me to "fit in". I'm stubborn (or so my horoscope says if you believe in that sort of thing). But also, I don't see a Facebook account contributing to my life in any positive way. It would just be one more thing for me to use to procrastinate. I would just end up playing mindless farm games or stalking my ex-boyfriend picking up other self-destructive habits. Even though I suppose it would make it easier to keep up with friends, I don't think it's at all essential. After all, I've gone this long without it.

So I guess what I want to know is this: why is it so weird? Please, help me understand. What is it about someone not being on Facebook that's so perturbing?  Could it be curiosity... some undying need to know a person's life before you get to know the person? If so, why not just ask?

1 comment:

  1. You are not the only one who doesn't have Facebook! I had one throughout high school and a for about year in college but then decided to delete because I realized I didn't care about all the junk I saw on there. Unfortunately I do have other social network profiles like on instagram and twitter, but facebook just seems useless to me now.

    ReplyDelete