Wednesday, March 12, 2014

YouTube

My Favorite Way to Procrastinate

YouTube was created in 2005 by former PayPal employees and has been owned by Google since 2006. Although technically just a video sharing site, I am considering YouTube a social network because of the ability to like and rate videos, subscribe to and communicate with other users, and post comments on content.

Let me just say this: I love YouTube and I have for years. I didn't think I could love YouTube more until I did my week-long test run of an account. I found that certain account features such as being able to save videos to my favorites, subscribe to users, and make playlists did nothing but enhance the use of this website. These features made the site easier to use and allowed me to find content that I enjoy much more easily and then save this content so that I could find it again.

My one problem with YouTube is that under Google's "One account. All of Google." mantra you are actually required to have a Google+ account to comment on videos so (since I'm not keeping my Google+ account) I won't be able to participate in this aspect of the site.

Because of YouTube's array of videos, its uses are endless. You can use it for music and other entertainment, beauty tips and tutorials, news, and (most importantly) education. I can honestly say that I probably would not have passed Organic Chemistry I without the multitude of instructional videos uploaded to YouTube. I like YouTube socially because I know a lot of people that have accounts so I can see what kinds of things that they like and share videos with them.

Will I keep it?
Absolutely.


No comments:

Post a Comment